What is Radon?
It's a naturally occurring, invisible, odorless, tasteless gas that comes from deposits of uranium in the soil, rock, and water. It is harmlessly dispersed in the outdoor air, but when tapped in buildings , can be harmful, especially at elevated levels. Radon is a radioactive decay product of radium, which is itself a decay product of uranium. Uranium and radium are both common elements in the soil.
How does Radon get into my house?
Warm air rises. When this happens in your home, it creates a vacuum, so something must rush in to fill it. In the case of your home, air seeps in from the soil around and under the house and some air is sucked in through openings (cracks, doors, windows) on the lower levels. Radon gas enters the same way air and other soil gases enter the home;j through cracks in the foundation, floors, walls, hollow-block walls, and openings around floor drains, pipes, and sump pumps.
How do I find out if my house has elevated levels of radon?
The only way to find out if you have high levels of radon in your home is to test. Radon test kits are available at the Grant County Health Department please call (304) 257-4922 to obtain your free test kit.
How is Radon measured?
Radon is measure in picocuries per liter of air (pCI/L)
Fast Facts About Radon Gas
Learn more interesting facts about radon gas at www.epa.gov.
Tests kits are are available at the Grant County Health Department for FREE.
Please call (304) 257-4922
Copyright © Grant County Health Department - All Rights Reserved.